Incorporating Body Positivity into Your Practice: A Course for Health Professionals
I am so glad you’re here!
It’s a weird way to open a description for an online course, right? Why am I excited to have you here?
Because you navigated to this page, I know that you are a health or wellness professional who genuinely cares about your clients! You care about their mental and physical well being and want to treat all bodies with the respect they deserve.
“Isn’t that what all health and wellness care providers care about though?”
Well, to be honest, no! I hear stories every day through my Instagram and online community about the horrors of seeking care as a plus size person. A lot of health and wellness professionals may indeed believe they are “treating bodies with respect” but unfortunately, due to the society and world we live in (and discriminatory and hurtful practices taught in medical and wellness training), many larger-bodied clients are not adequately or respectfully cared for.
And, because of this disrespect and lack of compassionate care, they don’t go to the doctor. They don’t hire a nutritionist or a physical trainer or get a yearly checkup. They avoid getting care, deciding that no care is better than using the care that is available to them.
Here are some mind-blowing statistics from The Free Figure Revolution 2017 FAT CENSUS
regarding how fat people felt about their healthcare experiences.
- 61% of respondents had at least one negative experience with a healthcare provider in the last year.
- 64% of respondents have been misdiagnosed by a healthcare provider due to weight-based healthcare.
- 78% of the respondents have avoided going to the doctor due to fear of being mistreated as a fat person.
As a health professional, you’re probably thinking “Well I don’t want to be a health professional like that!” which is excellent!
Unfortunately, you probably are, at least in some aspects of your patient/client care and interaction. But your DESIRE to be inclusive and compassionate and provide excellent care is what will lead you to be able to care for clients in larger bodies.
Helping health and wellness practitioners provide that care is why I created this course.
Here’s how my course will give you the tools you need to you provide compassionate care going forward:
- You will learn the societal and cultural conditioning many healthcare professionals are victim to, and point out how to reframe statements, patient recommendations etc. — so YOUR words clearly communicate the compassionate care you want to provide.
- I will share my own stories and those from community members (and past workshop attendees) on how care they received was harmful.
- Explain the types of language to use and terms to avoid, as well as share resources for everything from treating eating disorders with a body-positive perspective, to making your space PHYSICALLY welcoming. I’ll share resources such as waiting room chairs and other equipment you can use that will convey you are living your principals day-to-day!
Who am I?
Hi, I’m Dani, founder of iamdaniadriana, an online community with over 100,000 members. As a fat activist for the last 5 years, I have the knowledge and information to help you become a body positive health and wellness professional who will not only learn how to care for larger-bodied people, but will also ensure you treat all sized bodies with kindness and care.
This knowledge will help you GROW your practice. The most common questions I see posted in body positive Facebook groups are things like,
- “Anyone know a dietician in California who is body positive?”
- “I’m looking for a GP in Queensland who is body positive and practices HAES. Any recommendations?
- I want to take up running and learn to lift weights! Do any of you have recommendations for personal trainers in Toronto?
So, how do we do it?
Below you’ll find information on the class schedule (classes will be provided via webinars). You will also gain access to a month-long private Facebook networking group (from the 11th of June to the 11th of July) for us to chat, discuss issues, and put these frameworks into practice. This Facebook group will be a community of like-minded professionals.
Monday 11th of June A global perspective on body positivity // Let’s look together at the real societal and cultural impacts fatphobia and diet culture has on bodies and health. We will chat about how you can combat these on a practitioner level. I’ll also share additional resources and books to help you continue to learn about body positivity, HAES and fat acceptance.
Tuesday 12th of June Breaking down fat stigma from the get-go // Come along with me as I debunk the Body Mass Index. We will discuss what fat stigma and fatphobia are, how they exist in health and wellness, and how to confront them on a personal and practitioner level.
Wednesday 13th of June How to create a space that is physically body positive (furniture, scales, etc.) AND how to clearly advertise body positivity within your business/brand // Learn how we can use social media and your work environment to tailor your business to be fully inclusive of larger-bodied people. We’ll also talk about how to make a space physically accessible and inviting to fat and plus-size people!
Thursday 14th of June How to transition appointment anxiety to trust //Chat about power dynamics and how they exist differently with larger-bodied people, and tailoring your appointments from start to finish to ease fat phobia anxiety. I’ll share scripts so you can “learn the lingo,” and later tailor for your own use.
Friday 15th of June Why being fat positive will help more than just your fat clients or patients // Explore how you can continue to be trusted to treat and help larger-bodied people. Let’s chat about ways to retain larger-bodied clients and how to gain even more trust with clients by including fat positivity into your business.
LET ME HELP YOU FIND YOUR PEOPLE
Let’s face it, the health and wellness industry has some problematic behaviour; you may find it super tough to find like-minded professionals to flesh out these ideas with.. That’s where the private Facebook group comes in!
You’re a business, and I get it!
At the end of the day, you own a business and want to ensure that this course will add value to your work.
This course will not only help you gain new clients by being the go-to larger-bodied health professional, but it will also help you stop making the mistakes that lose you clients, because you may not realise how some your practices are actually turning people away. Let my course give you the confidence to build trusting, long-lasting relationships with your clients,
At the end of this course, you will have an option to be added to a health and wellness practitioner resource page on my website. It will be helpful for my community and those looking for health and wellness professionals to find you!
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
- If you are a dietitian/nutritionist
- If you are a therapist/counsellor or psychologist
- If you are a fitness instructor or personal trainer
- If you are a professional coach
- If you are a doctor or a nurse working in the public or private health sectors
What is the fee for this course?
- $299 USD per person (pay HERE via PayPal***)
- The first 10 registrants receive an Early Bird rate of $199 USD!
(I can also invoice you with an Australian Business Number directly for tax purposes — simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I’m here to cheerlead you into being a revolutionary health and wellness practitioner
Larger-bodied people NEED you!
HOW TO ENROLL
Enroll by paying via this Paypal link. I also offer $35 USD off your registration for every person you refer to the class, paid to you via PayPal when they sign up. Be sure to have your referral note on PayPal that they have enrolled on your recommendation.
>>>>> REGISTER HERE: https://www.paypal.me/iamdaniadriana
>>>>> OR EMAIL ME FOR PERSONALISED TAX INVOICE: email@example.com